Wednesday, 23 November 2016

Dr Odwood is in trouble! HELP!

Dear Y8 Travelling Companions

Disaster has struck! My wretched enemy, the dastardly explorer and thief Lord Pingerton Snatchly has found out my whereabouts. The Devil intends to track me and find out my destination. I think he knows that I am on the hunt for the much coveted ancient artifact the Egg of Mantumbi - this is the journey I was hoping you would accompany me on, to recover the prized golden egg. But I am not Playing around with him, he has lots of ground to cover before he can get me.

So I am hiding out. I cannot reveal my location in writing as Lord Snatchly will find me and follow me, but I know from your teacher that you are phenomenally clever students. So I have drafted this sketch that you must de-code to work out my location.

Once you have worked out where I am, email me and I will give you the next task whilst I try and escape from this hell hole.

You have 15 minutes. Use your devices, the internet and the clues in the picture (and email) to work out where I am.

Good luck my wonderful friends!

Jolly Hockey Sticks, Toodle Pip and Tally Ho!

Dr J. Odwood.



And the answer was.....


Were the class successful.....



Unlucky guys. This task was designed to get you working together as a class under pressure. You worked very well but a small number of people actually said the right answer but because not all of you were listening you pursued other (incorrect) lines of inquiry. All the clues pointed to the right answer but you got sidetracked on minor issues such as the symbols around the edge of the picture.

We will try another one of these critical thinking/team work puzzles next week. Let's hope you fare better next time!

In the comments please tell me a) how you thought you worked as a team b) how you contributed as an individual c) what the team can do differently next time d) what you can do differently next time.

Mr O'Dowd


24 comments:

  1. I feel we didn't work very well as a team because not every bodies ideas were heard and some people were taking charge and not listening to other people's ideas but we all had good ideas and interpreted it very well. I feel I contributed a little because I wasn't heard that much but I did contribute a little. I think we could listen to everybodies idea and then come to a decision and not just a few people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were one of the people who actually said the right answer!

      Delete
  2. I feel we didn't work as a team that well and hardly anyone was listening to my answer and next time we should all work as a team.
    This is he capital of murder. death on every paper. BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD. Be careful. You never know who's trusted and who's not. Murder town. Smell of death taste of blood. It's beautiful but deadly. HILL OF DEATH. The hunt for the egg of manbuni
    This is a big place it's tall and it's nice there it would be a nice vacation place but there is one problem.
    Killers.

    People may not be dressed well and there is a possibility you will stay alive
    Screaming crying around every corner.
    It is as safe as a devils prayground would be.
    So much greenery.
    As beautiful as doves.
    Here is held the ancient egg of Numbani that's all the stuff I have


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How are you going to try and make sure your voice is heard next time?

      Delete
  3. a) I think we worked quite well as a group however there were a few people that kept on shouting and talking really loud that put me off, i suggested the correct answer but because of all the noise nobody heard me. b) Individually i made sure that i searched and trued to give choices for everybody to discuss and vote on, also i had an open mind and listened to everyones ideas.c) Next time we could all as a group quiten down and be less hectic, so that we can hear everyone. d) Next time i will make sure that i analyse the photo better so that i can search and make sure that i am heard by everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you did say the right answer. If you were confident that it was right, what else could you have done to convince other people?

      Delete
  4. We weren't really working well together because some people only were using their ideas and weren't listening to the people with the actual answer. Maybe next time we shall listen to everyone's ideas and research on them which means there should be no boss who is telling everything to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, how might that be organised so that everyone gets a say?

      Delete
  5. Me Giacomo and Yusuf Sahin were researching but unfortunately didn't get the answer we did well as an individual but some people got the right answer but some people didn't let them show there answer next time I think we should go around the class telling our answers and why we think it was that place rather than having one person who took and idea from one person and pushed other people to follow that idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was your research useful? Did it help the class at all? What can you do that might be more purposeful next time?

      Delete
  6. We didn't work properly as a team as there were a few very bossy people who didn't allow everyone to choose the answer and I think that next time we should all be aloud to say what we think is the answer as me and a few other people were trying to say it but no one was listening so I think that next time everyone should have a turn to say what they want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can you ensure your voice is heard when there are more assertive and vocal people in your class?

      Delete
  7. a) As a team, I think we worked well, but not well enough. Most people were shouting out their answers in random order. However some people didn't have the opportunity to speak and it turned out that they had the correct answer all along.
    b)As an individual, I tried to find as much information as possible based on the clues, but most of my points didn't get across, because of everyone's panicking and shouting.
    c) Next time, the group could be more organized by having a system where everyone gets a say.
    d) Next time I as an individual can try to find a bit more information and maybe try to calm people down, aswell as not shouting out what I think is correct, because that would create even more confusion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I think the excitement made people forget how to work together. Hopefully you will all be more prepared next time.

      Delete
  8. I thought as a team we didn't work well, there was a group of people at the front sharing their ideas and then there was a group of people at the back who were maybe getting ideas but not sharing them, then there were some boys in the corner just airdropping pictures, then on the edge row of boys the majority of them had good ideas but weren't sharing them also the majority of the side girls row were contributing but overall i feel everyone needs to contribute to the class ideas more. I feel i contributed a bit but could have done more to add to what we had but on the other hand i did do a lot of research with max and the other people at the front. Next time we can all contribute more to get more ideas. As an individual i could have urged some of the others to have their ideas be hurd and also contibuted more myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think it might be a good idea to assign roles to people or make someone the leader to organise better?

      Delete
  9. I think that we worked okay as a team. We worked together, but not all thoughts and opinions were listened too. Secondly, I think I contributed a lot, even though it may be wrong, but I tried my best. What we can do better as a team is that, we should listen to everyone, and consider all thoughts and opinions. What I can do better is focus more, as I easily get distracted and can do better with more concentration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can you organise yourself as a group to ensure everyone is listened to?

      Delete
  10. A) I think that we could have listened more to everyone
    B) I think I contributed well but no one really listens to me
    C) I think next time we could have more listeners and deciders
    D) I think I could say more and decide on decisions as well

    ReplyDelete
  11. We worked quite well but we could improve. I think we should work more as a team and not by having people tell you what to do. We could have worked it out if everyone else listened to eachother's idea's. Other then that. Think that we worked well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought that the whole class and I worked quite well as a team. I contributed to nearly everything that was suggested and thought and also spoke my own opinions and ideas. Next time, our team could listen more carefully to other people's suggestions. I can listen to peoples ideas because I was really focused on my research and opinions that I didn't get the chance of listening to other people's thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we definitely could have worked better as a gem by listening to each other. I could have contributed a lot more and been a bit more productive. Next time we should listen to everybody's ideas and we should be a bit more organized. I should work on reaserching and understanding clues better and definitely speak up more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think there was a group of people in the class who were quite active and another group who weren't participating and that is definitely something we should improve on in the future. I felt that I took a leading role in contributing to the class and helping out, sadly some people had the right answer all along and i didn't think I was able to get across to them even though I have suggested we write our answers on the board and non of the people with right answers stepped forward. Next time we need to get organized a little better, preferably with an assigned leaders whom the class elect or would like to step forward. More leaders would help to get everyone's voices heard, and instead of a cautic class, it would be a more easy going atmosphere. Also, I would personally like to take a leading role again, but this time, organize everyone better and make sure everyone is working effectively and efficiently, so that the class may not be divided again and we reach the right answer sooner.

    ReplyDelete