Monday, 21 November 2016

Touching the void: non fiction analysis

"The closer you are to death, the more you realise you are alive."

Starter task: This quote is on the front cover of the book 'Touching the Void.' I think this quote means....



In class today I asked my students to explain this quote and what it means to them. Here are some of their replies. (In the comments section below!)

19 comments:

  1. The closer you are to death the more you feel alive

    I believe this quote is true because the closer you are to death the more you do things you have never done in your life before and your saying I have only a bit of time left let me enjoy this time and do the things I never got to do.
    Sometimes when your close to death your not allowed to do stuff like sky diving so why waste ur time when your about to die why don't you just do it now and not regret it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea of feeling under pressure or compelled to do something the closer life comes to be being over. We should make the most of every day!

      Delete
  2. The closer you are to death the more you realize that you are alive
    I believe this quote is telling us them at we don't really appreciate what we have normally and that if the world gave us a challenge we would be unable to face other than the people who noticed a harsh life .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What sort of life changing events must happen for us to really start appreciating life do you think?

      Delete
  3. I think this quote means that you are close to dying so you feel excited and thrilled. When people say they are feeling alive they usually mean that they are doing something exciting that makes them feel active and like they are in the middle of action. So the closer you are to dying, the risk of actually dying gives you the adrenaline to feel alive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quote is on the front cover of the book "Touching the void" and i think it means that when you are in a life or death situation thats what really makes you realise your lifes worth and all the things you have been blessed with. Nearly dying shows you what you are giving up in your life and makes you appreciate everything you had and experienced.Thats why people mention the saying " My life flashed before my eyes " when someone is in danger this is another example of showing that when you are life or death situation you recap your life quickly and understand its worth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good use of the quote to illustrate your point too.

      Delete
  5. I think this quote means that you value your life more when you are in danger. For example in touching the void it is about two men who are put in a great amount of danger and they wrote this quote from their own excperience which really shows how much danger they had to go through
    And how they nearly died. another explanation could be that this quote is meant to prove how much you should value your life while you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that this quote means that when you are somewhere where you could easily die e.g. The top of a mountain you feel more alive as you realize and think about how you could die at that very moment and place you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is very true and that you also realise your lifes worth and appreciate it more.

      Delete
    2. I dont think this shows about danger, i think it represents how much we should value our own lives where ever and when ever.

      Delete
  7. I think this quote means that you don't appreciate your life until you are put in a situation where every minute counts and that if you know you are likely to die you start thinking of all the things you have done. Lots of people take their life and luxuries for granted but when you are put in a situation like that you regret everything and you start thinking properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is really well explained, Asad. Very clear and concise explanation of something quite complex.

      Delete
  8. This quote means that when someone is close to death, they then be very thankful that they are living and they should live life to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the quote means that when you are on the verge on death, you feel that like you are being re-born and you wait peacefully for your soul to go to heaven

    ReplyDelete
  10. "The closer you are to death, the more you realize you are alive."

    To me, this quote is very inspirational and in a way, philosophical. I think it means, the more you are struggling, the more you are pushed to you limits, you will realize and think about what it means to be living on this earth. It could aslo be referring to, the closer you are to death, the more pure your mind is, therefore, you come to terms with how lucky you are. Furthermore, the more you are struggling, the more you believe that hope is out there, the more you want to finish the endless whirlwind of pain, so you push through to the end.





    I think it means, the more you are struggling, the more you are pushed to you limits, you will realize and think about what it means to be living on this earth. It could aslo be referring to, the closer you are to death, the more pure your mind is, therefore, you come to terms with how lucky you are. Furthermore, the more you are struggling, the more you believe that hope is out there, the more you want to finish the endless whirlwind of pain, so you push through to the end.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Max, it is absolutely philosophical and existential too. I also believe it means that we should always challenge ourselves to get the most out of life which you hint to in your second paragraph. Great work.

      Delete
  11. This quote on the front of the book is very meaning full it is like when you are so close to death you relise you are very fortunate to be alive And well. which can be really good for some people that take life for granted.

    ReplyDelete

  12. I think that this quote means that when you are somewhere where you could easily die you suddenly relise how lucky you are to be alive and how you can die at any moment

    Reply

    ReplyDelete